"Focus on things that bring your mood up." —Irene
Bae Joohyun (Hangul: 배주현, born on March 29, 1991), also known as Irene, is a South-Korean singer and dancer. She is the leader, visual, main rapper and lead dancer of South-Korean girl group Red Velvet.
Irene was part of S.M. Entertainment's pre-debut group, S.M. Rookies, alongside with groupmates Seulgi, Wendy and Yeri. Before debut, she has also appeared in a music video for labelmate Henry's "1-4-3".
Various clips of Irene were released in S.M. Entertainment's official Youtube channel, one of which included her and Seulgi dancing to Be Natural, a song originally performed by S.M. Entertainment's former group S.E.S., showcasing their dancing. Prior to debut, she has also appeared in a few music videos of labelmates.
On August 1 2014, she finally debuted with Red Velvet. In November 2014, she has appeared in the music video for Cho Kyuhyun's single "At Gwanghwamun". From May 1, 2015 to June 24, 2016, Irene hosted Music Bank with model Park Bogum.
Irene made her acting debut with webdrama 'The Female Employees of a Game Company' as female lead A-reum. On October 14, Irene became a host of OnStyle's fashion show Laundry Day. The show premiered on October 22, 2016. In the same month, she became a panelist on the KBS show Trick & True with band mate Wendy.
- Stage Name: Irene
- Birth Name: Bae Joohyun
- Nicknames: Cabbage (Baechu), Mother, Hyun-ah, Grandma
- Birthday: March 29, 1991
- Birthplace: Daegu, South Korea
- Blood Type: A
- Height: 161cm
- Weight: 44kg
- Position: Leader, visual, main rapper, lead dancer
Music video appearances
|2013||"1-4-3 (I Love You)"||Henry Lau||Irene||YouTube|
|2013||"Why So Serious"||SHINee||Irene||Youtube|
|2017||"Would U"||Red Velvet||Irene||YouTube|
Television shows as host
|2015 - 2016||KBS Music Bank||Co-host along with Park Bogum|
|2017||KBS Music Bank World Tour||Co-host along with Park Bogum|
|2016||The Female Employees of a Game Company||A-reum||Irene||Lead role|
|2013||Burberry Heritage Trench|
|2014||Ivy Club (With EXO)|
- Her designated color is pink.
- Her representative animal is cat.
- Her favourite colour is purple.
- She is said to be the most playful.
- She trained in the company for 5 years before debut, in year 2009.
- She can imitate Doraemon.
- She is the most flexible out of the 5. Wendy has caught her sleeping with her legs fully split and her upper-body laid against the floor while covering herself with a blanket and another time in the same position but with her legs squished under her, making it look like her legs disappeared. Though it scared Wendy on both occasions, Irene says she’s the most comfortable sleeping this way.
- Her favourite artist is BoA.
- Her favourite number is 43, the reason being 43 can mean 'I Love You'.
- She claims that she has a habit of clinging to others by linking arms and holding hands.
- Her favourite way of relieving stress is to create mind maps to organize her thoughts.
- She collects notes, journals and anything that is purple.
- Her specialty modern dance.
- She used to share a room with Seulgi and Wendy.
- It was announced that she has her own room.
- Her habit is holding hands and linking arms.
- The age difference between her and Yeri is 8 years.
- Her personality is shy and caring.
- She was a trainee the same time as F(x) and she became very good friends with Amber .
- In Daegu, she was famous for being a Ulzzang (pretty face).
- She has a Satoori accent.
- As a trainee everyone though she was scary because she didn't speak much and had a strong Daegu accent.
- She is the shortest out of the Red Velvet members.
- She wants to become a leader who can communicate and listen well to her members.
- She gets scared easily.
- In their mini-album "The Red Summer ", she represents a watermelon.
| To view the Irene gallery, click here.