"Focus on things that bring your mood up." —Irene
Bae Joohyun (Hangul: 배주현, born on March 29, 1991), also known as Irene, is a South-Korean singer, dancer, rapper and television personality. She is the leader, sub vocal, lead dancer, main rapper, face, visual and center of South-Korean girl group Red Velvet.
Irene was born and raised in Daegu, South Korea. Her family consists of her parents and younger sister.
During her teenage years, Irene attended Haknam High School.
In 2009, she made a successful audition to SM Entertainment and trained five years in the company, before debuting as a member of Red Velvet.
Irene was part of S.M. Entertainment's pre-debut group, S.M. Rookies, alongside with groupmates Seulgi, Wendy and Yeri. Before debut, she has also appeared in a music video for labelmate Henry's "1-4-3".
Various clips of Irene were released in S.M. Entertainment's official Youtube channel, one of which included her and Seulgi dancing to Be Natural, a song originally performed by S.M. Entertainment's former group S.E.S., showcasing their dancing. Prior to debut, she has also appeared in a few music videos of labelmates.
On August 1 2014, she finally debuted with Red Velvet. She was assigned to represent the color pink. In November 2014, she appeared in the music video for Cho Kyuhyun's single "At Gwanghwamun". From May 1, 2015 to June 24, 2016, Irene hosted Music Bank with model Park Bogum.
Irene made her acting debut with webdrama 'The Female Employees of a Game Company' as the female lead A-reum. On October 14, Irene became a host of OnStyle's fashion show Laundry Day. The show premiered on October 22, 2016. In the same month, she became a panelist on the KBS show Trick & True with band mate Wendy.
- Stage Name: Irene
- Birth Name: Bae Joohyun (배주현)
- Nicknames: Cabbage (배추), Mother, Hyun-ah, Grandma
- Birthday: March 29, 1991
- Birthplace: Daegu, South Korea
- Blood Type: A
- Height: 161cm
- Weight: 44kg
- Position: Leader, visual, main rapper, lead dancer
|2015-2016||Music Bank||KBS2||Co-host along with Park Bogum|
|2016||The Female Employees of a Game Company||A-reum||Lead role|
Music video appearances
|2013||"1-4-3 (I Love You)"||Henry Lau||YouTube|
|2013||"Why So Serious"||SHINee||YouTube|
|2017||"Would U"||Red Velvet||YouTube|
|2013||Burberry Heritage Trench|
|2014||Ivy Club (With EXO)|
|2016-2017||Maxwell House Korea 'Colombiana Coffee'|
|2017||Nuovo Shoes Brand Korea|
|PUPUGAME 'Age of Ring'|
- Her designated color is pink.
- Her representative animal is rabbit.
- Her favourite colour is purple.
- She is said to be the most playful.
- She trained in the company for 5 years before debut, in year 2009.
- She can imitate Doraemon.
- She is the most flexible out of the 5. Wendy has caught her sleeping with her legs fully split and her upper-body laid against the floor while covering herself with a blanket and another time in the same position but with her legs squished under her, making it look like her legs disappeared. Though it scared Wendy on both occasions, Irene says she’s the most comfortable sleeping this way.
- Her favourite artist is BoA.
- Her favourite number is 43, the reason being 43 can mean 'I Love You'.
- She claims that she has a habit of clinging to others by linking arms and holding hands.
- Her favourite way of relieving stress is to create mind maps to organize her thoughts.
- She collects notes, journals and anything that is purple.
- Her specialty modern dance.
- She used to share a room with Seulgi and Wendy.
- It was announced that she has her own room.
- Her habit is holding hands and linking arms.
- The age difference between her and Yeri is 8 years.
- Her personality is shy and caring.
- She was a trainee the same time as F(x) and she became very good friends with Amber .
- In Daegu, she was famous for being a Ulzzang (pretty face).
- She has a Satoori accent.
- As a trainee everyone thought she was scary because she didn't speak much and had a strong Daegu accent.
- She wants to become a leader who can communicate and listen well to her members.
- She gets scared easily.
- In their mini-album "The Red Summer ", she represents a watermelon.
- In their full-length album "Perfect Velvet", her weapon is an ax.
- She is good friends with BLACKPINK’s Jennie.
| To view the Irene gallery, click here.